Monday, April 25, 2011

All That Glitters...

Is MESSY!  Geez – I think that’s going to be my last “glitter” project for quite some time.  I’m still finding glitter.  Oh, and a quick tip.  Refrain from using bowls, etc. that you also use for food.  Unless you are looking to bedazzle your food.

I decided to tackle the Glittered Eggs project (or to be more PC – the glittered “sphere” project) just in time for Easter.  I have an apothecary jar that I have probably already blogged about, but just a refresher, I fill it with decorations appropriate for the upcoming holiday (whichever that may be).  For Easter 2011, I had it filled with plastic eggs, but it was ugly and uninspired.  Enter the lovely Martha.

The project calls for blown-out eggs and OF COURSE, one of the tools that Martha lists in the book is for an egg blower. 

Yeah.  Sure, Martha – let me just run to my craft room and get my trusty egg blower.  WTH?  Who owns one of those???

Oh, and she also suggests using quail and goose eggs.  Oh.  Okay.  Sure, I’ll do that.

On the bright side, I was lucky enough to have my Aunt Penny invite me to her house to work on the project.  She watched Peaches McGee while I huffed and puffed and almost passed out blowing out eggs.  I got through almost 2 dozen and I’m embarrassed to say how long it took (and I can’t remember – lack of oxygen from blowing, I’m sure).  Below is a picture of what happens when you blow and squeeze an egg too hard. 

Yep.  That’s egg yolk running down my hair.

The remainder of the project was done at home, and here was my setup.

Note the glitter in the dinner bowls.  *sigh*  At least I was smart enough to use plastic spoons…

After brushing on craft glue, I dipped and spooned the glitter per Martha’s directions.  At first I used a mixture of clear glitter and colored glitter because I was worried that I would run out of the colors and I had so much of the clear stuff.  That was a big mistake.  Any other person probably would have realized that CLEAR DOES NOT SHOW UP ON WHITE.  Dur. 

So, I repeated my mistake, not once, but twice, and after three eggs, realized I would have to use “pure” glitter.  Here’s a picture of the biracial glitter egg…

After learning my lesson, I used only the colored glitter and I think they turned out pretty cute! 

To display them, I made a little nest of green “grass” and set them gently on top.  I finished it off by tying a bow around the jar that matched the ribbon I used for my Easter Topiaries. (I’ve included pics of those as well)

P.S. The best part of the project was Peaches McGee learning how to “blow.”  While watching me almost kill myself with the eggs, she started blowing too.  So cute.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! you should rent yourself out (to me) and decorate other people's homes for the holidays (as in mine)!